Saturday, April 28, 2012

Wisdom

Was speaking to one of my brothers at 3am in the morning. Given my already slightly sleepy and multitasked brain, I decided that it was appropriate to listen to him because he wasn't feeling too good about life. Or to me more accurate. He felt confused but wasn't sure why.
Anyway certain things were spoken about which I will not mention but one of which was wisdom. I guess there were some things that I mentioned which made him comment that I had become wiser. 
while I would argue that I was quite wise to start with, a small part of me went, " really? I know people have said that to me before but...really?" And the next question the little voice said was " how?"

As I was walking down the street to school, this topic suddenly popped into my mind again. Where did my wisdom come from? Im inclined to say, from God. Because even I have no idea how I gathered certain wise thoughts..and even if I did conjure them up, what factors made me determine that they would be true? So I attribute it to God. 

Yet, while I might be seen as wise, there are many times where I feel like kicking myself in the butt for illy things that were done on impulse or emotions that the wiser me would not have allowed. Also bringing up the past relationship I had that wasn't a wise move on the overall. It would have saved me zoo much heartache if I had heeded my wise self. All these proves that no matter how wise someone is, there are times where its just hard to heed ones own advice. Because the emotions were stronger than the wise one. Call it the devil vs the angel. Its not that the wise little me wasn't speaking aloud or even shouting at me or nagging me. Its not that the rest of me didn't register the wisdom..its that at that point of time, wisdom wasn't followed upon.

Such is human nature. To follow ones wisdom all the time would require constant objectiveness, impartialness and copulous amounts of discipline. Not easy. Maybe the body has an innate intention to rebel from even oneself.

While enjoying my breakfast before going back to school, was looking at Facebook. This website has become my sole source of communication to the SG world. The best app that gave me a ready update on how my SG friends and family is doing without me having to ask " hey hows life" to individuals.

Anyway I came across someone's comment about her parents making her grow up but restricting her freedom. The common frustrations that both parents and growing teens have which other.
I admit that I would still be having this frustration if I was in SG now. Can even hear my mum nagging me about spending more time at home.

But my reply to my friend's comment (and i view this as my little wise self 's wisdom) Parents spend at least 1.5 decades learning how to protect us and care for us. From when our mums got pregnant. Its been a continuous learning process. And theres never a moment where either parents  fully know if what they are doing is right. There will always be doubt. But just when they feel like they may have gotten the hang of it, we grow too big of that protective shield and need to break out to find out who we are. The conflict starts because the parents now have to unlearn everything about how to protect you and learn how to become more of a mentor/friend.

Some parents fail/barely pass/score at this but all this is due to what they learnt from their own parents who are/were their only teachers. Also the way they teach is affected by their own learning process in life and their life experiences.

Thus is life... 


Looking back at my own parents, I know I have been too harsh with them at many points in time. my emotional side has often disregarded the wise me's words. Thats because they often treated me with the h same methods too. And maybe one instinctively reacts to others with the similar method to communicate with them in the same way. Alike how one would felt eh need to speak the same language as the one they are speaking to to relate better to them.
Angry comments beget angry comments, wise words beget wise words, smile begets smiles, etc

Hmm interesting :)

K going back to vectorworks now. :)

No comments: