Monday, April 14, 2008

Burmese Lesson #3

In my few years since Junior college, I dont think Ive had that many burmese lessons but this lesson is the most fruitful... :)
*note this isnt a textbook translation but its usable

I Love You = Ngar(I) Nint(You) Ko Chit Te(Love You)
I Dont Love You = Ngar Nint Ko Ma(pronounced as "may") Chit Bo (Dont Love)

Family names
Big Bro = Ah Ko(Pronnounced as Go) Gyi
Younger Bro = Maung Lay
Younger Sis= Nyi Ma(pronounced as "ma") Lay

Designations
Maung = Mr (youth below 25yrs old)
Ma (pronounced as "ma") = Miss (youth below 25yrs old)
Oo = Mr (aged above 25yrs old)
Daw = Miss (aged above 25yrs old)
Ko = Form of respect to older brother
*all these words are meant to be added to their original name
ie: Maung Pyae Soe San or Daw Ei Ei Khin or Oo Sithu..or Ko Sithu

Salutations
Hello = Ming Ga La Ba (in my own spelling)
How Are You = Nay Kaung La (How Are You)
Im fine (my own understanding) = Kaung Ba Te (in my own spelling)
Sorry= Taung Pan Ba Te

Other Words
Crazy = A Yuu

If any of my burmese frens/students read this...please correct me if Im wrong. :) My aim is to be able to speak and understand basic stuff!

God Bless

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi sis,
just droppin by to tell u i'm still alive...hahaz...
and i saw YQ's ad...his role reali 'funny'/weird...