Monday, November 16, 2009

My own compereing reflections...

As they say..if you want people to do stuff, you gotta do the same things yourself.

So here I am reflecting on my Escapade hosting stint.

14 Nov
I'll be honest and say I was scared!!! I have never done an event for close to a year! everytime I seea good compere, I sorta think in my head," what would I have done if I had hte same situation" & "Why didnt I think of that?!?" And I get soo impressed with some comperes that I feel totally shitty abt myself. That's why I was sooooo scared when I saw Justin M host!!! He's bloody good!!!
He's fast thinking....Im slow...

So Sat, Justin came in with his bag of jokes and he was good! he made everybody laugh!!! He's effectively multilingual to the point of Hokkien, English, Chinese, Cantonese, Malay....I mean..SHIT!!!

So anyway..he got the crowd sooo high that I was cracking my brain on how to carry it over....
I didnt bother with long talks..and just kept introduing the next item because I didnt wanna bring the mood down w words. Let the performances keep it up.

Besides...despite the fact that we were running out of time, I actually felt that time was on my side. gave me an excuse to cut my words off. I just put in as high energied as I could, passed ont he baton around until the last bit.

The audience was excellent and I was so humbled by it. I was energized by the audience.
They looked like they listened to me...when I asked questions, they answered. They followed instructions etc.

Im glad I included the point abt challenging yourself to stay awake. So they we put them in the frame of mind to stay awake through the thing. That way when I see them the next day, I'd have a linkage there and hence have the excuse to make more noise in the morning. Im also glad I drew power from the participant. Im glad I could move on & off stage

Bad Points:
- I wish I had the power of impromtu ness like Justin
- Wish I had my makeup on coz I bet i looked horrible
- no preparation for script except the siren announcement
- lack of multilingistic skills limits my range and surprise power.

Thankfully Justin completed his games esgment before he went off coz I had no games prepared. If i had tot ake over the games..Id be SCREWED!!! With my lack of preparation...theres no way I cud have saved myself from silence.

15 nov morning
- Too tired...didnt wanna drink coffee
- Muttering words...
- Probably looked very bored because I was soo tired..
- Had technical problems because we didnt check stuff out w the organisor.
- lastly...I spoke too much. I spoke over my emcee...
- my script was lastminute hence on rough paper..

All silly problems that I wished we could have settled before going onstage. I know I pretty much committed alot of emceeing sins..same ones my students committed.

But I at least did things without looking at my script much and I put in my entire energy in it. With the reaction and response of the crowd, I didnt force them overboard on replying to me..and I walked around the crowds to get closer to the audience instead. Im glad I did that...

So all in all. Im okay wm my performance. Wished I could have done thigns better but that will have to be for another event.

Ning

No comments: