Saturday, September 22, 2007

CCA Points

The most irritating thing in the world...CCA Points...

Dont know who came up w the point system. Whereever it works, its not the best system to teach our youth. Why? Because they learn that doing certain things will give them a tangible incentive. If so, why do other things that dont offer anything in return? Tangible I mean...

By tangible: cca points, privileges, vouchers, prizes, awards....physical recognition.
By intangible: things that fulfill your inner interests, your curiousity...
Eg: learning cooking to fulfill an aim to learn how to cook, or picking up rubbish from the beach because you feel a sense of responsibility or sense of satisfaction helping the env..IE: you do it coz you love to do it

CCA Points, prizes and awards are a load of rubbish for the desperate organisors...sad to say...I am one of them. I owe my students an apology for the lateness in calculating cca points...but at the same time I really hope that cca points are their only source of motivation

Speaking of somethign happier...my cousin got married yesterday..or rather, we had the dinner yesterday. Rushed off from work to clarke quay, rushed to the public toilet and changed etc..
My grandma came and she being abit senile(hate the word), couldnt recognise us cousins very well. She forgot my sister and I and my cousin (the one getting married). Must say that if you take it to heart, then yes it hurts. But nonetheless, no one wants to have this prob.My grandma sure would love to remember everything in her life and tell it to her grandchildren. What struck me the most yesterday...was how my cousin said, "it doesnt matter if you dont recognise me...so long as I can recognise you"
Can be true in a way...coz you know that no matter how forgetful you are, people still remember and love you. But if I put myself in my granny's shoes, I would be sad if I cant remember my grndchild's face but I remember her name and how she's related. Imagine forgetting your sister's face even after recognising her name and how much she means to you..YET not being able to show her how much you care for her...because you cant remember her. Hmmm
Thats why I started keeping a diary int he 1st place...call it a kid's idea of data entry. Download all past history in a diary(portable memory storage device...eg: CD?) so that you have more memory space in your hard drive to put it more recent memories.

So this phrase my cousins made has given me another inspiration for a song..dont know how I'll write it but we'll see how it goes.

As we waited for the dinner to start, all the cousins, except my uncle jeff and his family, was there...well minus a few usual absentees...and the 5 of us cousins got together to take a pic w granny. Granny was in a daze yesterday....white thin hair, frail small frame, dressed in her usual grannywear but w an extra thick jacket. we all towered over her as she sat in her wheelchair and strained to look up at us. Oner of her eyes cloudy and glossy...and the other, a glass eye.

Yesterday, she received a cup of tea from her grandson in law. the 3rd one in the family. Her smile was there but thin. maybe she didnt know why she was smiling or meant to smile...

Love my grandma

God Bless

No comments: