Friday, February 17, 2012

Australia...

Spoke to 2 of my housemates last night adn we had such an interesting long chat about Australia and its perception of chinese or Asians...

Apparently Asians are viewed as
- rude
- intruding on personal space/ disrespecting personal space
- sometimes dirty (blowing nose or spitting in public)

Sad to say alot fo the older generation chinese do that. Then again..saying Chinese is a general statement because chinese from different backgrounds behave differently. The younger generation does not do that.

Yet I suspect that the locals dont know what to do with asians, especially by the impression that their elders have given them about asians...

My housemates and I had such a wonderful and honest chat! Even though they are australian, they are truly honest about  how australia is and it made me clear my impressions on Australians. Im not saying Im correct, in fact, it cleared alot of my questions on why they behave in a certain way to people like me and people of hteir own kind.

It only forces me to conclude that as foreigner, I HAVE to show THEM what the world out of Australia is like. :)
I had a friend who asked me, "does mandarin have dictionaries?" a simple and seemingly "Duh" question but I am honestly pleased to hear such a question! Or that Singapore has soo many languages etc...

It means that no matter how tired I am, that I should still try to make myself known and be approachable. Because they wont always be the ones to say "hi" first.

God Bless

No comments: