Wednesday, May 18, 2005

depression...

Before you get all worried and jump into conclusions, let me explain...
I read a poem today...my fren's poem...it sparked off a conversation I had with her about poetry and how to me, it just seems fascinating yet complex...exactly like rocket science. Hence my conclusion that literature is rocket science. We talked about Sylvia Plath and Virginia Woolf. Both known to be extrodinary writers in their own way yet both very depressed and eventually...suicidal. According to my friend, Sylvia killed herself by sticking her head into a microwave...Virginia on the other hand, stuffed her coat with rocks one fair afternoon and decided to drown herself...
Theses are two of the many many artists who are well known for their crafts and also depression and insanity...Van Gogh is another.
What I started to wonder, was why. Why did they feel such a dire urgency to leave this world? What was it that drove them into insanity? Into depression? Into death? Is being creative a double-edge sword?
My fren thought that maybe they wanted sooo much to excel in their craft that they drove themselves into insanity. Somehow I think not...
I think these people loved what they do because it gave them a place to relieve their thoughts...via songs, poems, stories, diaries..etc... They needed soo much to voice out what they had to say and they loved it. They loved writing or song writing or writing poems. The more they loved it, the more they did it. The more they did it, the more it made them tap into their deepest minds and subconscious and feelings. The more they opened their eyes even to the smallest details in the world. It made them see more things than a normal person. It made them feel more than a normal person...but the stuff that they saw more...was more depressing than happy.
I agree with my fren that the times we are more creative...is when we are sad or down ...anything that is negative. It always seems then that we are more intouch with ourselves... I write my best songs when im in my darkest moments! Not surprisingly, all or most of my work are melancholy...sad...slow...but...that touch the heart. Its the sadness and the sorrow that seems to connect hearts more. Ask yourself, whats your favourite song? Maybe most of you will name a song that contains sorrow, breakups, I still love yous, You're gone, some of you will name hotel california, fade to black, nothingelse matters, right here waiting, ode to my family, nirvana's songs, etc, stairway to heaven...etc...
Another thing Im wondering , is about Virginia Woolf in particular...she had a very complex way of writing. According to my fren, she wrote words as they came out of her mind. Simply taking what she's thinking and pasting it on a book. No rephrasing, no further explanation n stuff. That's why it's so hard to read her books. I know that i write like that as well...I know that because att he end of the day, my diary entries always seem messed up, choppy and only i can understand it...But isnt that wat a diary is for? to write down what you feel and think rite? Yet...this makes me only more intruiged by her...and I'm even thinking about reading some of her works more intensely...Makes me wish I cud meet her...Find out what she's thinking...
Whatever is it, literature will always seem like rocket science.
As for myself...im doing fine..although not as well as last week. Some things I wish I cud settle fast but I cant...Anyway, more of that next time.

LOVE

1 comment:

The Tarot Apprentice said...

I guess is that usually people who think further than the average norm, they'll likely to be isolated. For they dare to think and more often than not, dare to speak up. Which perhaps cause them to be drifting more and more apart from the society on the outside, but in fact, been very detailed to the happenings and how human is, making them understand humans more.

Perhaps they knew so much about the truth of mankind but they couldn't handle it. They couldn't find people whom they can 'click' to. Though they vent through their art pieces and other wonderful creations of theirs.

I don't think 'creative' is a double-edge sword but 'thinking' itself is. Especially if people cannot handle it.

Ain't really sure what's the environment that these artists been through, but definitely, ending their lives, proof to be something that they use to evade from.

From the cruelty of life?

I guess it must be something they wish to avoid so much that they give up their love, love of creating their pieces again.

Just my two cents worth of thought...