Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Mona Lisa smile...while Maria sings

Da Vinci...Tchaikovsky...Michaelangelo...they all have..all have one thing is common...well a few things...
They're all known in their field, they're all greatly admired and appreciated, they're all dead and they're all rocket science to me.
Since joining SSO, I felt a new drive to l;earn or understand classical music..hopefully without having to go through music theory and exams hahah Why? Coz, its just one whole genre of music which I cant understand. The pieces i like, i like only because they are familiar to me...i grew up tapping my fingers at the dining table and imitating my sis as she played the piano. Honest truth...I loved it and I still love it when my sis plays. She used to play very often (she had to practise) but not now...if she played the piano now, id probably tear...coz it brings backt he warmth int he house...hmmm..k what i mean is...it fills the air int he house w music..w familiar feelings of admiration. But i never understood the genre...maybe some i felt more coz the tone was more obvious? sad, angry, majestic..etc...
As for art.....I just finish reading Mona Lisa smiles (Julia Roberts) Art is int he eyes of the beholder. Art to me..is like how classical music is to me....dependent on the circumstances... I have a jigsaw puzzle of a famous painting I dont even have the name of...its by my table and I love it! hmm let me check...ahh..its called..Cafe - Vincent Van Gogh. :) http://www.geocities.com/centaura.geo/pixfamousart.html
I love it for 2 reasons....my college frens gave me this for my birthday and..it had the night sky and a cafe...pretty much where I wished I cud be more often at night hahaha
But really...what was Vincent thinking when he drew this? Did he feel like me? I dont know.... honestly..I wudnt have bothered if not for Mona Lisa Smile.
What is art? how is it defined? Im so captivated by artists or photographers..anyone to do w art....wondering what it is that makes their brains tick. How do they think? How dot hey analyze a piece of art? What about a piece w a splash of red and green? Or what the elephants do...seems they've taken on another profession.
If I cud so have the chance..Id love to have a fren to accompany me as i strollt he aisles of the art museum and find out just what treasures there are in art..that makes it so fascinating. id really like to be able to stand in front of a painting and for once, really see a meaning in it..the underlying meaning...
Was Vincents madness potrayed in his work? what made him so crazy? His pictures of potted plants, of his room, of himself....the Cafe....was he in his crazy moments? Like literature legends, Sylvia Plath and Virginia Woolf...
hmm...I feel that if I did understand both of these, it wud be like a curtain being lifeted off my eyes...like...everything takes a clearer and more intruiging point of view...I wudnt look at...an elephant's painting the same again hahaha.
I finally know why the show is called Mona Lisa Smile...look at what is hidden gelow the surface. Like Mona Lisa..is she really happy?

love

No comments: